We hope everyone is healthy and staying safe this week in the midst of all the unsettling news.
We’ve been getting calls and emails asking our opinion on what to stock and how to keep the immune system strong during this delicate time.
So here’s what we have to share . . .
Diet. This is no time to be hoarding sweets and junk food in preparation for a potential incubation period. On the contrary, the more healthy foods you infuse into your diet, the stronger your immune system will be.
Diet can definitely help with prevention and/or at least lessen the severity of symptoms should you contract anything. So pile on the colorful fruits, veggies, good fats, clean proteins, mushrooms and wholesome carbs to give your immune system more to work with. Our best tip here is to “eat the rainbow.” Look for as much color and variety as you possibly can. As we like to say, paint your plate!
Here are a few items to consider stocking up on which have a long shelf life:
- Canned wild tuna, salmon, mackerel and sardines
- Chia and flax seeds (keep these in fridge)
- Nuts and other seeds like pumpkin, sunflower
- Canned soups like Amy’s or Imagine
- Organic canned or dried beans/lentils
- Frozen edamame
- Frozen fruit and veggies (again, shop with color in mind)
- Sweet potatoes, turnips, beets, green and purple cabbage, butternut squash
- Lemons, limes
- Apple cider vinegar
- Bone Broth
Supplements: There are a few favorites we use to support the immune system and improve activity against viruses.
- A dood basic multi like Designs for Health Twice Daily, which will also contain Vitamin D, A, K2, zinc, selenium and other vits and minerals all good for immune)
- Mushroom caps or powder, 1-3 caps/tsp per day (anything from Host Defense, Stamets 7 good choices)
- Liposomal vitamin C: 2000-5,000 a day or to bowel tolerance. If you can’t find liposomal, try one made from tapioca starch (rather than from GMO corn as most are).
All of these supplements are available in our online dispensary at 20% off. Additionally, other supplements you are taking may be on there too. So check it out.
Sleep is a major way our body resets & rejuvenates itself, and the immune system is no exception to this. So please be sure to prioritize your sleep. Looking for sleep and overall relaxation help? We put together these specific essential oil products to help support you overall. We love these products and use them daily to support our health.
Stress can wreak havoc on the immune system. Do everything you can to limit your intake of news 24/7. Chronic stress heightens the sympathetic nervous system (fight or flight), which raises cortisol and weakens immunity.
- Instead, activate your parasympathetic by listening to relaxing music, catching up on guilty pleasure reading, playing the piano, knitting, drawing, breathing (see below), meditating . . . or inhaling a relaxing scent. Did you know that our olfactory system (sense of smell) is directly linked to our limbic system, the part of our brain that deals with emotions? Therefore a quick whiff can calm you down in a jif.
- The Breathe App is a fabulous tool to help reduce stress. Deep breathing takes your nervous system from a sympathetic (fight or flight) state to a parasympathetic (rest and digest) state. The app guides you through several types of breathing methods and makes it so easy to incorporate into your day. We highly recommend it! You can check it out HERE.
It’s comforting to know that these are things you DO have control over, so take advantage and be as proactive as you can. Put any positive spin on the situation that you possibly can.
And while you are hunkered down at home, take the opportunity to get things done around the house you normally don’t have time for! Clean out closets, junk drawers, your garage, or basement. Work on that DIY project you’ve been putting off. Take the extra time to cook healthy nourishing recipes! We’ve got lots for you right HERE.
Let us know if you have any questions or concerns. We are thinking of you!
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.