Ginger (which is technically the underground rhizome of the ginger plant), ranks among one of the most recommended spices that we use with our own clients as it has so many health benefits and is really fun to add to recipes.
Let’s start with the powerful effects of ginger on the digestive system:
– Promotes the elimination of intestinal gas and also relaxes and soothes the intestinal tract.
– It is used all over the world to help manage indigestion, gas and bloating, nausea and irritable bowel syndrome
– Stimulates digestion by speeding up the movement of food from the stomach into the upper small intestine, which can benefit those with constipation, reflux, SIBO, and gastroparesis (slow stomach emptying)
Ginger as an anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer agent:
– Contains two lesser known anti inflammatory compounds known as gingerols and shogaols (these give ginger its distinctive taste)
– For those with osteo or rheumatoid arthritis, gingerols can help reduce pain levels and improve mobility when consumed regularly as part of an anti inflammatory diet.