Are you a Victim of These Energy Zapping Habits?
If you have followed us for any length of time, you know we are big believers in the impact food has on energy levels. Eat a well-balanced, nutrient rich diet with a minimal amount of processed foods and your energy can soar.
However, we also know that food is just ONE piece of the energy picture. In working with clients (and having ourselves as guinea pigs as well), we have identified several E-zapping habits that many of us fall prey to on a daily basis.
So just for a moment, let’s put aside what you eat and address some of these other “E-zapping” habits:
- Negative thoughts. Did you know that how you think can drain your energy? Negative thoughts such as “I can’t,” “I’m so fat” or “I should be doing this or that,” all make you feel bad, create stress and contribute to e-zapping. Catch how often you do say these negative things to yourself. Then start filling your head more positive energy. Think about what you are grateful for. Keep pictures around of things that bring you joy, listen to your favorite music more often, and practice saying kind things to yourself (aka – treat yourself the way you would your best friend, not your best enemy).
- Saying “yes” when you want to say “no.” We’ve all been there. Someone asks us to do a favor, or the school or local organization is looking for help with the (bake sale/fundraiser/etc – you fill in the blank). Our brains say “no,” but then our mouths open up and “sure” comes out. As women, we like to ‘people-please’ and hate to say no, but we really need to prioritize ourselves more often. Practice saying no in front of the mirror, or have a line prepared to gracefully decline when you are asked to do something. Maybe even put some “me time” in your calendar and keep this time as non-negotiable. That way, when someone requests your time, you can look on your calendar and see that it’s booked.
- Dehydration. This is a big one. Dehydration kills energy. Once you feel thirsty, chances are you are already dehydrated. Thirst can also masquerade as a craving so if you are well hydrated, you are less likely to look for that sugar boost to kick your energy into gear. So keep that water flowing throughout the day. Add lemon, lime, and/or cucumbers to your water to perk up the taste. Get a hydration app on your phone if you need reminders.
- Multi-tasking. Between smart phones/Facebook/multi tabs on the computer and long to-do lists with only so much time in a day to do them, it’s almost impossible not to multi-task in today’s world. But get this – recent research has actually found that multitasking not only decreases the quality of work being done, it also slows us down. Try this: when you make a commitment, at least for certain blocks of time throughout the day, shut down phone alerts, keep tabs to a minimum and focus on ONE thing. You will get more done and feel less drained.
- Sitting too long. It might not be what you expect, but the latest research has compared long periods of sitting as “the new smoking.” You need to get up and move – stretch, exercise, walk – preferably every half hour. This will increase blood and lymphatic flow and keep your energy from tanking.
Check out this brief video for other non-food habits that can have a huge impact on your weight AND your health.
THE NOURISHING GURUS
Jane and Stephanie, creators of The Simply Nourished Solution™, are nutritionists who help women over 50 go from overweight, frustrated, and inflamed to lighter and healthier so they can be more active, feel good in their bodies, and live the second half of life with energy and confidence. Their 3-pronged approach, which can fit into any lifestyle, encompasses not only wholesome energizing foods but powerful habit and mindset shifts.
What’s blocking your weight loss success?
You can still lose weight after 50 - even if you’ve been trying your whole life! Find out what’s standing between you and the healthy weight, energy and freedom you’re looking for.
Supported weight loss for women over 50
If you’re struggling to nourish yourself after menopause, our Simply Nourished Solution™ Signature Weight Loss Program offers the tools, strategies and shifts you need to stop yo-yo dieting, permanently lose weight, and feel better than ever in your 50’s, 60’s and beyond.