Spring Into SPROUTS!
4. Vitamins: Vitamin content increases by up to 20 times the original value. For instance, research shows that during the sprouting process bean sprouts increase in vitamin B1 by up to 285 percent, vitamin B2 by up to 515 percent, and niacin by up to 256 percent.
8. Digestion: One of our favorite benefits is that sprouted foods are much easier to digest than their un-sprouted counterparts. That’s because the sprouting process begins to break the food down for you. This is a HUGE bonus to those who struggle with any digestive issues such as gas, bloating, reflux, constipation, etc.
9. Affordable: Sprouts are inexpensive. Oooh la la – and a fabulous way to improve your health without expanding your budget.
Here are a few more ideas:
- Munch on sprouted peas or sunflower seeds at snack time
- Toss into your favorite stir fry while cooking or add as a topping after cooking (pea shoots work wonders here)
- Mix into your salad – adds a fabulous nutty flavor and crunch!
- Toss into a homemade juice or smoothie (bean or broccoli sprouts great for this)
- Stuff into sandwiches or tacos
We also LOVE a company called TruRoots, who sell packaged beans and grains which have been dried to prolong shelf life, and therefor require shorter cooking time than other grains (this means they cook up FAST, in like 15-20 minutes). Think of them as your upgraded Uncle Bens! Check out their website for all their amazing products. They have a fabulous recipe section as well.
Here is a delicious recipe that combines a sprouted (dried) grain which requires short cooking time mixed with raw sprouted beans (can be eaten without cooking).
Quinoa Tabouli and Sprouted Lentil Salad Recipe HERE.
Let us know . . . do you eat sprouts? What is your favorite kind? Share the love.
THE NOURISHING GURUS
Jane and Stephanie, creators of The Simply Nourished Solution™, are nutritionists who help women over 50 go from overweight, frustrated, and inflamed to lighter and healthier so they can be more active, feel good in their bodies, and live the second half of life with energy and confidence. Their 3-pronged approach, which can fit into any lifestyle, encompasses not only wholesome energizing foods but powerful habit and mindset shifts.
What’s blocking your weight loss success?
You can still lose weight after 50 - even if you’ve been trying your whole life! Find out what’s standing between you and the healthy weight, energy and freedom you’re looking for.
Supported weight loss for women over 50
If you’re struggling to nourish yourself after menopause, our Simply Nourished Solution™ Signature Weight Loss Program offers the tools, strategies and shifts you need to stop yo-yo dieting, permanently lose weight, and feel better than ever in your 50’s, 60’s and beyond.