5 things we learned since turning 50
There are 2 times per year when we tend to take stock in our lives – New Years and birthdays.
Since Stephanie just had a birthday this past weekend, we started talking about things we have learned since turning 50 and thought it might be fun to share these with you.
1. A sense of humor is vital. Not only are our bodies are changing, the whole world around us is changing! If we aren’t able to find humor in the little things it can be too easy to slip into negative thinking.
As a result, we make it a point to bring more laughter and silliness into our lives. Watching more comedy vs drama, laughing at our silly kitchen mishaps, sharing funny memes, sending amusing gifs . . .
These are all ways we can infuse more fun and lightness into our lives which not only reduces stress (see #4), but research also shows can slow down the aging process. Count us in 🙂
2. Mindful eating may be the most important thing we do for our health. Most women we meet not only eat too quickly, but multitask while eating.
Eating too fast or mindlessly will often lead to:
- Improper digestion. We have teeth for a reason. Food that is not well chewed misses out on the first step of digestion, and has much less of a chance to be properly absorbed, especially as we get older and our digestion may slow down a bit. You’ll miss out on the nutrients from what you are eating, no matter how healthy the food is.
- Weight gain. It takes 20 minutes for your brain to register fullness. It’s easy to eat WAY more than we need before we realize we are full.
- Dissatisfaction. How many times have you eaten a meal or snack and realized you did not even recall eating? How satisfied can you be if you are totally distracted while eating?
- Check out this blog for some great strategies on how to to be a more mindful eater.
3. We are NOT too old to change our habits. We’ve become HUGE fans of a concept called neuroplasticity, which basically is the capacity of the brain to change with learning.
Did you know that when you become proficient in a specific domain (like learning a new language, or cooking), the areas in your brain that deal with this type of skill will grow? How cool is that?
As far as nutrition goes, this ALSO relates to changing eating habits. With the right mindset, you absolutely CAN let go of a sugar addiction, learn to meal plan, become a better cook, or consistently incorporate at least 5 servings of fruits and veggies a day. Which habit will it be for you?
4. Managing stress is non-negotiable. It’s been both enlightening AND frightening to learn how much stress plays a role in our overall health. It’s a factor in just about everything, from digestion and sleep to cravings, weight, mood and so much more.
That’s why we have both begun incorporating a lot more relaxation strategies into our everyday lives and in our programs, including essential oils, meditation, gratitude, and breathing exercises, just to name a few.
5. Learn to say NO. We’ve both struggled with being people pleasers but as we have sailed past the 50 mark, we’ve learned to let go of the need to be and do everything.
In a nutshell, here’s what we are saying. It’s okay to delegate. It’s okay to distance yourself from a toxic friendship that is not serving you. It’s okay to not participate in every volunteer opportunity that comes your way. You get the picture, right? This is not selfishness, but self preservation.
What have you learned since turning 50? Share in the comments below.
For even more details about eating healthy after 50, check out PM Meal Mastery, a scientifically-backed nutrition plan for optimal health, energy, and confidence after menopause. PM Meal Mastery is the nutritional program for post menopausal women who want to fuel their bodies, feel their best, and live and active, engaged life.
THE NOURISHING GURUS
Jane and Stephanie, creators of The Simply Nourished Solution™, are nutritionists who help women over 50 go from overweight, frustrated, and inflamed to lighter and healthier so they can be more active, feel good in their bodies, and live the second half of life with energy and confidence. Their 3-pronged approach, which can fit into any lifestyle, encompasses not only wholesome energizing foods but powerful habit and mindset shifts.
What’s blocking your weight loss success?
You can still lose weight after 50 - even if you’ve been trying your whole life! Find out what’s standing between you and the healthy weight, energy and freedom you’re looking for.
Supported weight loss for women over 50
If you’re struggling to nourish yourself after menopause, our Simply Nourished Solution™ Signature Weight Loss Program offers the tools, strategies and shifts you need to stop yo-yo dieting, permanently lose weight, and feel better than ever in your 50’s, 60’s and beyond.